Our bodies have hundreds of chakras, although most individuals and healers focus on the 7 major chakras. These 7 chakras are our energy centers and they look like fans with overlapping blades.
In Sanskrit, chakra means “wheel”. These energy centers push fundamental life energy through our bodies to establish vitality.
If the chakras are cleared and balanced, energy is able to flow through them freely and easily. However, if they are blocked we can feel tired, sluggish, irritated, or unhappy.
Unbalanced chakras can also affect our intuition and psychic abilities. When the 7 chakras are clear we are readily able to tap into our intuitive capacities and speak with our angels.
The lower chakras spin slower and correlate to problems related to the material world, while the upper chakras spin faster and are connected to spiritual issues. However, they all spin in a clockwise direction.
Save It for Later
Functions of the 7 Chakras
1. Root Chakra (Muladhara)
The root chakra sits at the base of our spine (near the tailbone). It spins the slowest of the 7 chakras and helps us to feel grounded.
It is associated with physical security. If it is balanced we may feel like we can overcome all challenges we are faced with.
Worries and fears about money and physical needs shrink the Muladhara and may leave us feeling as though we’re lacking or “never have enough”.
- Ruby Red when clear
- Muddy, dark red when blocked
Associated With :
- Finances, career, home, physical safety, needs, possessions
- “I release all fears and worries regarding money, safety, and security.”
- “I recognize I am protected in all directions at all times, and that all of my needs are met and supported throughout the day.”
2. Sacral Chakra (Swadhisthana)
Our sacral chakra sits approximately 2 inches below the belly button. It spins slightly faster than the root chakra and is connected to emotions and sexuality.
If the Swadhisthana is balanced we commonly feel creative and open to sexual expression and other emotions. When unbalanced, we often feel fatigued, restless, or like we are lacking control.
- Vibrant orange when clear
- Burnt orange when blocked
- Physical pleasures, addictions, our body (weight, health, sleep, etc)
- “I release all concerns about my physical appearance and I allow myself to express my emotions openly. I free myself of cravings that do not serve my highest good.”
- “I am harmoniously aligned with my higher self, allowing me to feel creative and joyful. All of my desires are perfectly balanced now.”
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
The solar plexus chakra sits right behind the navel and spins faster than both the root and sacral chakras.
It is related to confidence and self-esteem. When the Manipura is clear, we are confident, feel in control, and comfortable with ourselves. However, when it is blocked, we can feel uneasy, unhappy with ourselves, or fearful of authority.
- Yellow (like sunshine) when clear
- Dark yellow with brown or black patches when blocked
- Power (over ourselves and over others), control, self-confidence, self-esteem
- “I let go of all fears or struggles regarding my power and control to the beautiful healing light within me. I am able to harness my power and control for good.”
“I wholeheartedly accept and fearlessly activate my power, now. This power is authentic and allows my light to shine through so my actions are loving and serve all of life. I create harmony, confidence, and joy for myself today.”
4. Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Our heart chakra is located in the center of the chest, and represents the beginning of the upper chakras. It links the material and the spiritual chakras together.
The Anahata spins at a medium-fast speed and controls our ability to love ourselves and others.
When our heart chakra is balanced we are grateful, we radiate unconditional love, and we are easily able to empathize. When it is unbalanced we become closed off, reserved, and we are unable to connect with others in a loving way.
- Beautiful emerald green when clear
- Dark, forest green when blocked
- Relationships, love, people attachments, forgiveness
- “I am willing to release all fears I have regarding giving and receiving unconditional love. I ask my angels to cleanse all blocks and sabotages that prevent me from fully enjoying love.”
- “I now completely accept love and willingly send love to others. I am safe, and I am worthy of love. I am loved by others and myself.”
5. Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
The throat chakra sits near the Adam’s apple and spins at a fast rate. This chakra influences communication, self-expression, and the ability to speak our truth.
When the Vishuddha is clear we are able to communicate effortlessly and can openly express ourselves. We may feel a lump in our throat or be unable to find the correct words to speak our truth when the throat chakra is blocked.
- Sky-blue when clear
- Clouded, dark blue when blocked
- Speaking our truth, communication projects (singing, writing, speaking, teaching), asking for our needs to be met
- “I release all blockages from my throat chakra to the light. I let go of fear that is hindering my ability to speak my truth in a loving way.”
- “I allow my higher self to speak through me today so that all my communications are sincere, loving, and genuinely guided. Today, my words will benefit and inspire others.”
6. Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
Our third eye chakra sits between our two eyes and is sometimes referred to as the brow chakra. It is oval-shaped and has an eye in the center that looks directly at us.
The third eye is the eye of our higher self. It faces us because everything is within us and it records a movie of our life. This chakra allows us to connect to our intuition.
A balanced Ajna allows us to see the eye of our higher self openly looking at us. If this chakra is unbalanced, we may see an eyelid over our third eye (it is closed). It may be completely shut, partially shut, or blinking.
- Indigo blue
- Intuition, wisdom, beliefs about spirits
- “I willingly release my fear of seeing the future and of seeing the truth. I let go of all worries about the bigger picture.”
- “I allow my higher self to open my third eye. I am safe as my higher self shows me the truth. My vision is completely illuminated by love.”
7. Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
The crown chakra is located at the top of our head and spins the fastest of the 7 chakras.
It allows us to access our claircognizance abilities (“clear-knowing”), which is the capability to access information, thoughts, and solutions from the Divine mind.
This chakra connects us to the spiritual realm so we are able to communicate with our angels and spirit team.
A clear Sahasrara enables us to receive messages and gifts from our spiritual team and be functioning at a higher level of consciousness. When this chakra is blocked, however, we may feel bitter towards spirituality and the Divine.
- Beautiful violet or sparkling diamond-white when clear
- Dark purple, almost black when blocked
- God, religion or spirituality, Divine guidance, trust
- “I release all fear associated with receiving messages from the spiritual realm. I allow the Divine light to shine through me so all barriers I have placed against Divine wisdom and guidance are broken.”
- “I lovingly and graciously accept interactions with my spirit team. I know I am safe as I follow my inner spiritual guidance. I allow this guidance to present me with amazing opportunities where I find my true nature as a beautiful, loving, spiritual being. I trust in myself and the Divine.”
Hold tight for an article on how to clear and balance your chakras so you can flow through life with fewer obstacles. In the meantime, use the above “releasing blockages” and “affirmations” to improve the function of your chakras.
As well, check out my Benefits of Reiki article! It explains all the amazing healing benefits you can experience from Reiki sessions, and I clear the chakras when I perform Reiki!
Sending you love, light, and healing.